Monday 19 September 2011

Overview of CLFA: Multi media and Photoshop



Much of the second half of the course felt more like a traditional foundation course. We were trying out a range of media and techniques. All were interesting and I was pleased to have had the opportunity to try them, but not all of them encouraged me to incorporate them into my practice. I was also missing sessions and had virtually no time to extend anything I was doing in my own time and I suspect this diminished the quality of my engagement.

MULTI MEDIA
We had four sessions on a multi media project which was to be done in groups. The teaching was excellent with Lucinda leading the way with determination and sensitivity and pushing us into ways of expressing ourselves that did not come easy. However, despite seeing the benefits of group work , I did not feel that any of us were really happy getting to grips with these media AND operating within in group dynamic. We were asked to explore Lincolns Inn Fields as a stimulus  to create a multi media installation.
I was, as usual, disappointed by my work: finding it hard to gather useful imagery in the sketchbook walk and then getting distracted by my interest in the disused phone box. I was pleased to have spent the time constructing my phone box with its mixture of prostitute cards and legal imagery, but in the end was rather embarrassed by its crude ideology and frankly rather tacky realization. It did not fit in with the group project which after a fair amount of crossed wires turned into a rather successful presentation since we allowed our audience to interact and rearrange the shapes we had set out. But overall it taught me more about what I did not want to do than what I might develop.


PHOTOSHOP
We had a whirlwind introduction to Photoshop, which was helpful in that it confirmed that my iPad work on Brushes was as far as I wanted to go with digital art. PS is a monster as I have always known and I can see no reasons to master it. It would take up too much time and divert me from the tactile and physical mark making and colour exploration that I want to put at the centre of my practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment